important message

The new 6 to 16 year rule contained in the latest OUSD (P&R) Post 9/11 GI Bill program guidance, DoDI 1341.13 (published on 12 Jul 2018), will go into effect on 12 January 2020.  When implemented, Soldiers must have at least 6 years but not more than 16 years of total creditable military service (active duty and/or Selected Reserve service) to be eligible to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits to their TEB eligible dependents.  A Soldier’s total years of creditable military service is calculated based on the date of the transfer request, not the date the transfer request was processed.  Additionally, submission of a transfer request within the new eligibility parameters does not guarantee approval.  

Soldiers are highly encouraged to submit a transfer request via milconnect ( as soon as they reach six creditable years of military service – do not wait!  The earlier eligible Soldiers submit and receive approval for TEB, the earlier they will start fulfilling the TEB four-year additional duty service obligation.

Please note: Soldiers who have received a Purple Heart on/after 11 September 2001 are exempt from the 6 to 16 year rule and may submit a transfer request regardless of their total years of creditable service.

Regular Army or U.S. Army Reserve Soldiers with questions can call toll-free 1-800-872-8272.  Army National Guard Soldiers with questions can call toll-free 1-866-628-5999.

Who is eligible to “transfer” Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to qualified dependents? 

Individuals who are currently serving in the Armed Forces (on or after 1 August 2009), have completed at least six years of service, and agree to serve up to four more years (must not have an Adverse Action Flag). Effective 12 January 2020, the servicemember must have completed fewer than 16 years of service.  Extension must be made to add the amount of time to current ETS to equal four years from this date of election for transferability. 


Service members can transfer up to 36 months of remaining entitlements to their spouse and/or children. Can add, revoke or modify transferability benefits while serving in the Armed Forces. Retirees or separated service members cannot add new beneficiaries; they can only revoke or modify existing transferred benefits.

Eligible family members 

An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual’s entitlement to:

  • The individual’s spouse.
  • One or more of the individual’s children. Transfers to children must be completed before the child’s 23rd birthday.
  • Any combination of spouse and child.
  • A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.
  • A child’s subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit; however, after an individual has designated a child as a transferee under this section, the individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.
  • A subsequent divorce will not affect the transferee’s eligibility to receive educational benefits; however, after an individual has designated a spouse as a transferee under this section, the eligible individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

Nature of transfer

An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none. Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following: 


  • May start to use the benefit immediately.
  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from Active Duty.
  • Spouse’s eligibility ends 15 years from the last day of qualifying time.
  • Spouse is not eligible for the monthly housing allowance or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on Active Duty/AGR.


  • May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces.
  • May use the benefit while the eligible individual remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from Active Duty.
  • May not use the benefit until they have attained a secondary school diploma, or equivalency certificate, or reached 18 years of age.
  • Is entitled to the monthly housing allowance and books and supplies stipend even though the eligible individual is on Active Duty.
  • Is not subject to the 15-year ending date, but may not use the benefit after 26 years of age.

Transfer of Education Benefit (TEB) Procedures – must be done in sequence

  • TEB must be initiated for each dependent BEFORE you retire or separate!
  • Confirm that your family member is enrolled in DEERS as a qualified dependent.
  • Log into DoD TEB website to complete your transfer request: You can access TEB through eBenefits or MilConnect
    Note: Transferring entitlements will automatically make an irrevocable election of Chapter 33.
  • Confirm that your current Expiration Term of Service (ETS) date meets the required service obligation – extend contract if necessary – allow processing time for extension.
  • A Service Representative will approve, reject, or set your request to a pending status. If a Statement of Understanding (SOU) form is required by your service – they will contact you with instructions.
  • To track the status of your request, you will need to return to the DoD TEB website to check the ‘Status’ in the Sponsor information section.
  • Once your transfer request is approved, your data is sent to the Dept of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
  • To use the benefit complete VA Form 22-1990e (only when benefit is needed) with the DVA online at VONAPP.
  • DVA will process the dependent’s application and provide a Certificate of Eligibility to the dependent.
  • Dependent brings the Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Affairs Certifying Official at the school they attend to begin payment of benefit.
Instagram has returned invalid data.